Then, last night, she met "Santa" for the first time and somehow already associates the stockings that are hanging from our fireplace mantel with him. Not sure where she picked up on that, since we have never told her about Santa or the chimney, but so is the mind and awareness of a 2-year-old. They remember and pick up on everything.
So then... since I had been thinking about St Nick vs. Santa and we talked about it in our small group too, I googled the connection and found the following, somewhat disturbing article online. http://www.inplainsite.org/html/santa_claus.html I did not like what I read (though it was very interesting), and I fully agree that he is a huge distraction and distortion of the true meaning of Christmas. Here's just one quote from the article:
So then... since I had been thinking about St Nick vs. Santa and we talked about it in our small group too, I googled the connection and found the following, somewhat disturbing article online. http://www.inplainsite.org/html/santa_claus.html I did not like what I read (though it was very interesting), and I fully agree that he is a huge distraction and distortion of the true meaning of Christmas. Here's just one quote from the article:
"Instead of the vulgar Santa Claus, with his 'nose like a cherry, and his little round belly that shakes...like a bowl full of jelly,' let us captivate our children's imagination with the altogether lovely One, the 'dear little Stranger, born in a manger.' Let us delight their fancy with the story of the guiding star, with the Magi and their gifts for the new-born King. Let us inspire our children to give gifts to Him and in His name. Let us make Christmas 'holy ground' in our homes this year'. "
I hope (if you're interested in reading this article) that you'll be inspired, as I am, to refocus with our children on the true wonder of Christmas: Emmanuel, God with us.

No comments:
Post a Comment