Tonight was a special bed-time. Since Rhea had had a good nap, I let her stay up a bit longer and so we all cuddled up together in Lucia's bed. First, we tried to call Papa at his desk in Texas to tell him "good night", but unfortunately, he wasn't there. So then we sang some songs together. First, Lucia requested Jesus Loves the Little Children. All three of us sang together, even Rhea sang along loudly: "Jeeeesus litto chiiildweeen, all in de weord." Then, Lucia requested Our God in Heaven. Meaning: Our Father Who Art in Heaven - the Lord's Prayer.
So we sang that three times. At first, both girls listened to me singing it, and then Lucia wanted to sing it again so she could sing along. I was surprised at how much of the lyrics she had retained -- she really loves the song (and so do I).
I just couldn't help but giggle at some of her interpretations of the words. I will record them here because they are exactly how she sang it from the bottom of her heart. One part in particular is quite the distortion and I struggled whether or not to correct her immediately, but I know that she will figure out the words over time. And I wholeheartedly believe that her rendition of the words, sung with passion and a four-year-old's capacity for worship, please God more than mindless and distracted repetitions of the prayer that we so often render up, even though our words may be "right".
“From the lips of children and infants
you, Lord, have called forth your praise."
Matthew 21:16b
Here are Lucia's words to the Lord's Prayer:
Our Father, who wart in heaven, how little be Thy name.
Thy kingdoms come, thy will be dumb, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we forget our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil,
for Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
Below is a video with the correct rendition. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment