It's hard to believe we've been here for a week already -- time goes by so quickly when you're having fun. :) And tomorrow, with the beginning of a new month, Lucia gets to go to the Kindergarten!! She is SO excited! (Technically, it's the equivalent of preschool in the U.S. -- that's just what it's called over here.) We stopped by there on Monday to talk to the head teacher to see if we could register Lucia, and they worked with us! (Sometimes shocking in Germany... ;-) ) It's rather unusual for her to be able to go for just one month, so I'm really thankful that they allowed her to sign up to go every day from 9 until noon (like most of the other kids). The head teacher told us they happened to have some room at the moment, and that she would try to find Lucia a group with some other girls her age. I'm really hoping that she'll make some new friends quickly. We've been reviewing the fact that she'll have to speak German in the Kindergarten for the kids (and teachers) to be able to understand her, and I've been giving her some phrases she can use to make initial contact (like ... What's your name?, Would you like to play with me?, etc.) She seems to understand, but we'll have to see how things go tomorrow. :) I can't wait to hear her report after her first couple of days; she tends to be a bit timid at first, so we'll see how quickly she feels comfortable there and part of things. She has a little backpack that she'll take with slippers (what they wear in the building) and a morning snack. I'll have to take a picture of her tomorrow and post it. :)
Today, I went to Bad Kreuznach with my dad while he taught in school. He dropped me off in the town center to do some shopping for about four hours, which was fun. I mainly just walked around and looked at stuff; it's just so interesting to see the differences in clothing, toys, and other kid stuff (like back-to-school things...) What I like a LOT is the fact that kid stuff is not overly commercialized like it is in the U.S. -- you almost have to search to find things with Disney princesses on them (for example). I tend to avoid Disney princess things like the plague (O:-) don't tell Lucia...), and I LOVE that the kid things here have more whimsical designs, cute colors/patterns, butterflies, flowers, without being branded necessarily. It's really hard for me when I see things like that not to buy them right away since I feel like they are hard to find in the States, but so far I've resisted successfully. :) (An example below: I had alread bought the purple flower rain boots for Lucia, but then I returned them... how much do you REALLY need fleece-lined rain boots in Dallas?! :) )
In other news, David continues to hold down the forts back at home, which includes his old job, his new job, working out details with our new house (like... closing next week Wednesday!! Woohoo!), packing up our old house starting tomorrow with movers coming in the morning, and working out all the details around somehow getting our fifth family member, Loxley, down to Texas. I would like to publicly acknowledge here that I feel TERRIBLE that I can't help him much with that job, and if I had realized how difficult it was going to be to get all that worked out, I don't think I would've dared come to Germany and leave him with all that. He is more than proving his love for me by not already having secretly abandoned him in the wild, and I've told him countless times that I owe him, big time. I'll get you a motorcycle, baby, whatever you want. :) You're my hero, and I can't wait to come home to you to repay you for all this headache in some small way.
Oh, and he's also trying to work out details around our labor and delivery plans for November... we have another little hurdle to take in that regard. Long story short, he could really use your prayers. There are a LOT of details that want to be remembered, and there often just isn't enough time in the day.
Thanks to all who have already physically helped us in some big or small way, and then thanks to all who have been praying for us. We can tell that we are being guided, and so far things are coming together fairly smoothly. We'll continue to keep you posted. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment