The party was a full success, even though the little ideas and details that Mamas have in their heads for events like this weren't all realized. There just wasn't enough time... to make a few crafts, do Rhea's or Lucia's hair (all day :-/) or put them in cute outfits. Oh well. :) (I never got around to fully getting myself ready either... but on those days I'm glad I'm the one taking most of the pictures. ;-) )
One of Rhea's favorite birthday gifts was a little spray bottle David and I got her. Now both Lucia and Rhea have one, and they enjoy squirting each other, drinking from it, and squirting me. (I did have to tell Rhea today that the couch and living room lamp did not enjoy being squirted with water ... maybe we'll start keeping the bottle in the garage with the outside play toys. :) ).
She also now has her own little camping chair (after her many requests in the past, when Lucia sat in her chair, "I sit too please?"), and her own "wain bella" (rain umbrella).
These are little tidbits of Rhea at the age of two:
She wakes up between 6 and 7 usually, and calls for Mama. David or I usually go get her (along with one or two of her beloved fuzzies) and pull her in bed with us until we have to finally roll out of bed. She lies still and enjoys cuddling and sucking her thumb for a while, but rarely goes back to sleep. Eventually, she starts whispering "Hi Mommy" - especially if she catches me opening my eyes. :) Sometimes she simply states, "Done." and starts crawling out of bed, ready to face the day. Other days she will lie there and tell me, "mluesi" (Muesli) - which is cereal in German, or, "dwinkie" (drinkie), or "Milch please?" (milk). Occasionally, she'll ask for "ice cweam" or "Kanummi" (Kaugummi - chewing gum) -- can you tell she has an older sister? Lucia didn't even know what that was at this age... :) (And no, Rhea hasn't had real gum - I usually give her a chewable vitamin or mint when Lucia gets to have a piece of gum.)
She is still a very cuddly and affectionate little girl. She loves to give hugs, run up and body-slam into your lap or legs, climbs your back when you're sitting on the floor, and throws her arms around your neck (when you're at a low enough level). :) She has mellowed considerably, possibly because she is now very adept at expressing herself and can communicate almost any need or desire. ("I need mowk too please" (milk), "Mamas Schoss?" (Mama's lap?), "Ich gerne play" (I'd like to play), and she responds to almost any "why" question from one of us with "because ... owie." She's very proud of her "owies" (usually on her knees) and enjoys showing them off to anyone who is paying attention. Mama: "Why is your baby crying?" R: "Because... owie." :) She LOVES her baby and has one with her almost all the time. We'll see how she takes to baby brother/sister in November. :)
She also loves her big sister and enjoys copying whatever Lucia is doing. I often find them playing together peacefully (usually "people" - their Playmobil collection is continuing to get a lot of attention), or they sit at the little table in Lucia's room coloring ("I dwa too please?"), or they sit on the couch in the living room, each with a book. Of course they have their fair share of not-so-happy interactions, too - I can usually hear one of those coming on because Lucia is desperately trying to get Rhea to stop doing something (like pulling her hair or shirt), or they are having issues sharing a toy. But overall, they are great friends and get each other to laugh better than anyone else can.
Though Rhea has her moments when she acts like a two-year-old, complete with VERY emphatic "NNNNO!"s (on occasion), overall she is very sweet and unusually polite for such a peanut. She regularly says, "no sanks", "yes please", after meals: "sank you. I cused." (for "may I be excused.") She's at a really fun age and can easily melt our hearts with her sweetness. Though she is fairly determined when resisting our instructions or trying to hold her own during a "battle" with Lucia, it doesn't usually take much to turn her back into her sweet, cooperative and joyful little self. She easily says "sawy Cia" (sorry, Lucia), or "sawy Mommy", and gives great hugs of repentance.
One of her main desires at this stage is doing things her "sowf", or "Leina!" (alleine - alone), whether it's washing her hands, going potty (on occasion) - recently, after I helped her onto the potty during dinner, she told me to "go way eat, sowf!", getting into and out of her car seat (a pain for Mama because it adds 4 or 5 minutes to each car trip, eating, etc. I'm glad she has an independent spirit, but at times it would be very convenient if I could just help her and the event could go that much faster. :)
She doesn't show much stranger anxiety and never has. We've never dropped her off that she has cried or clung to either of us; she's always very comfortable to go play, whether it's with a sitter, in the church nursery, or at a friend's house and I leave for any amount of time. She has a great sense of humor and playfulness, is into plenty of mischief (like... coloring the back of our love seat with a sharpie last week :-/ -- thankfully, it was the BACK of the chair), and knows exactly the way to Mama and Papa's hearts. We love you to pieces, Rhea, and look forward to all the things this new year has in store for you! You're growing up so fast!!
Here are her party invitations (though the time and date changed in the end):
Rhea being her cute little self:
Styling Mama's sunglasses at the pool during Lucia's swim lessons:

No comments:
Post a Comment