Monday, January 16, 2012

Puppet Theater

Today, Lucia built a puppet theater. The only thing I helped with was to cut a rectangle out of a big box. Everything else was her work. She drew four scenes from the story she was going to act out, and made four puppets, and then wrote herself a script.
Here's the script: "MOMKANWEGOAWTENHEWOZ"

This is quoting the main two characters from her story, Hansel and Gretel. "Mom, can we go out in the woods?" :)

Here are some pictures of the whole thing:

Rhea enjoying a turn with the theater. Notice the four scenes taped across the top of the box. Close-ups are below. They are the story line, sort of the backdrop, for her four puppets.


Introducing the four characters of her story (left to right):
Hansel, "The-Guy-Who-Put-Them-to-Sleep", the Mean Witch, Gretel. (I might have mixed up Hansel and Gretel; it's a bit hard for me to tell them apart.) And I'm not sure where The-Guy-Who-Puts-Them-to-Sleep comes in (she showed me the scene "where he put them to sleep", but I guess I must know a different version of the story...).


Following are the four scenes from the story:

Hansel and Gretel's House, where the script begins and their mother lives, and from where they go out...




... into the woods

Then, the scene where "the guy puts them to sleep." Not sure why H & G have halos (or if, in fact, they are halos).

And then the scene where H & G come upon the gingerbread house, complete with candy canes.


I have a video of her trying to perform the piece as well, but she wasn't quite sure how to carry out the complex idea in her head. I told David I could remember the feeling well: Having this (in my mind) AMAZING idea, spending lots of time preparing for it, and then not quite knowing how to make it all happen in the end. :) Hope you enjoy the performance as much as we did. (FYI: There was no follow-up to the performance you see on video below; that was the main event. :) )




No comments:

Post a Comment