Thursday, May 10, 2012

Snapshot of Alexa

I know this is a bit premature since Alexa won't be six months old until this Saturday, but I fear if I put it off, I might forget to post this.  So I'll do it two days early.  We have so much going on... people coming over on Saturday, Mother's Day on Sunday, Lucia's birthday on Wednesday, and her big party on the following Saturday!! 

Alexa is a very sweet and easygoing little chunk.  She's starting to sit up independently and I put her baby bouncy seat away already since she doesn't like to recline anymore.  It's either sitting up all the way, or lying on a blanket on the floor where she rolls around to her heart's content and likes to play with whatever toys are in reach.  And even though I was going to wait to feed her any solids until she was six months old, she convinced me to give her a few tastes of avocado and squash a little earlier.  She just seems so interested in our food whenever she's on our laps at meal times, she's batting her arms and her hands and feet go in little circles, and her eyes follow the fork or spoon from plate to mouth, craning her neck back every time the person who is holding her takes a bite.  So... she seems to like both butternut squash and avocado so far.  She doesn't eat it every day, or a whole lot of it, but when she seems especially interested, we have some food experimentation time.  From the pictures below, you can certainly tell she's not malnourished. :)

Her favorite place to nurse is our bedroom, so I almost always retreat there with her when she's hungry.  I dont' know if the girls distract her too much, or if she's just most comfortable and cozy in her familiar surroundings.  It's probably not a good idea to give in to this all the time since that might make feeding her out and about more difficult, but I enjoy sitting on my bed too, and getting a few minutes of quiet here and there. :)

She's full of smiles and loves to make eye contact with people in the store and wherever else we run into strangers.  She does not laugh or giggle nearly as much as Rhea did when she was a baby (neither did Lucia), but she's a happy, easy-going little person.  If we play with her or tickle her, she usually lets out a short little squawk or squeal, but that's it.  She sleeps really well and is almost always content.  She rarely cries, and if she does it's because we've pushed her too far past her naptime, which is about one and a half hours after she wakes up.  I've said to a couple of people: "My baby cries once a week, and that's on Sunday mornings (because church messes with her naps)."  Though she's getting better at falling asleep in my arms again, which is nice.  I cherish my time with her in the dim nursing room.  When else do I sit and cuddle her in a nice rocker for almost two hours?

Also, she's working on getting a bunch of new teeth!  She's been a very easy teether so far, which has been a great relief after what we went through with Rhea... The two right incisers on the top are already through, and the left smaller one is about to come in. 

Her teeth!

Happy times with big sister (and thank you to cousin Jaida for having matching PJs in the right size :) )



Asleep on Rudi the Rabbit (we already have two of him, just in case he will become as treasured as Rhea's buzzis are... :) )

Enjoying her new skill :)

We love you, Alexa Belle!

No comments:

Post a Comment