Then... my jaw dropped. I walked in to my children looking like this:
I almost busted out laughing, but I was able to control myself (initially). Since not too long ago we already had a marker incident (where it ended up on the carpet :-O ), I felt like I had to set a precedent on this one, as difficult as it was for me. First, we talked it through and I listened to Lucia's side of the story. "But Mama, it was SO MUCH FUN! And we were trying to get ready for the fair! I didn't hurt her! She really LIKED it! The marker tickled her face and she laughed and laughed! Mama, it made me so much fun! I just wanted to be a big girl like you and color on the face and get ready for the fair!" And eventually her story turned to tears, and that was even more heart-melting, because her tears turned purple before they dripped off her cheeks. I tried to explain to her that I was delighted that they had so much fun, and I was really happy they played so nicely together, but that she knew better than to color on her and Rhea's faces with markers. And that even though things are fun, it doesn't mean that they are always right and good to do. And that we need to do what is right first. And we talked through different options like coming to Mama when she has a fun idea like this one but isn't sure if (or ... knows for sure that) it's not ok, to ask if there's a better way to have that kind of fun. After the discipline, I just had to capture their faces and even got her story on video (though the second version was not nearly as funny and sweet as the initial rendering on my lap in her room.) Enjoy. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment