Monday, November 1, 2010

Sweet 3-Year-Olds

Today I'm watching Kirsten, Lucia's little friend, while her mom is at work. Their usual sitter situation didn't work out, which both Lucia and Kirsten are thoroughly enjoying. :) I wish I had a way to record half of their conversations, but here's one that happened right after lunch:
K: "I have to tell you something."
L: "What?"
K: "I was up in Jesus when my mommy was in college."
L: "What?"
K: "I was up in Jesus."
L: "You mean high up in the sky?"
K: "Yeah! I was up in Jesus!"
L: "Wow! Did you kiss him and hug him?"
K (all weirded out): "Nah... I was up in Jesus before my mom got me, and then my mom got married and got me. That's how it was. And then I came to see my friends and family."

Priceless.

Another one during lunch:

K: "Most toys have Jesus in their hearts. You know? In their bellies."
Me: "You think so?"
K: "Yes."
Me: "I think only people can have Jesus in their hearts."
K: "No, and food!"
Me (at first confused): "Oh, you mean people can also have food in their bellies?"
K: "Yes."
Me: "You're right. Jesus in our hearts, and food in our bellies." :) (I decided against going into any human anatomy or deeper theology lessons at that moment... haha.)

The other night we went out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant. We had our food and then went out to the car to leave. I asked Lucia, "Did you like the food tonight at the restaurant?" Lucia: "Yes, it was yummy! What was it called?" Me: "Mexican food. We went to a Mexican restaurant - it's called El Azteca." Lucia: "Why was there brown men?" Me: (??) "Oh, you mean the men at the restaurant? "Lucia: "Yes. Why were they brown?" Me: "Because they are from Mexico. God gave the people in Mexico brown skin and us white skin." :-) That's the first time she has noticed or at least mentioned "diversity" in her world. A week ago Sunday we went to an Indian restaurant and she didn't mention anything there... I hope and pray she comes to deeply appreciate the diversity among us people, all created in God's image, and all beautifully different (and yet the same). :-)

Final anecdote (for this post :-) ):
Last night was Halloween, which Lucia got to participate in for the first time. She and Kirsten went trick-or-treating together (and probably managed five houses before they were officially done). The first house, Lucia followed Kirsten to the door and got some candy as Kirsten said her well practiced "Trick or Treat!!" The next house, Kirsten again performed flawlessly, and Lucia stood behind her all shy. So the lady said, "Would you like some candy too?" Lucia: "No thank you, I already got some in my purse." (... from the last house.) Even after asking a few more times (and we were trying to encourage Lucia to get some if she wanted some), she stood by her "no thank you." The lady finally MADE me take it for her (and then some for the baby (!!!) ) since she had it and was trying to get rid of it. All evening we kind of had to talk Lucia into taking some candy - she was rather reluctant, but then started catching on a bit. They were each allowed one choice of candy as we got home, and Lucia had half a bag of m&m's (because I let her count out 10 :) ). This morning, when Kirsten came over, Lucia wanted to tell her again about last night and going door to door, and she said: "... and I got lots of ... um... and... in my purse, I got lots of... um... um... um... I got lots of ... um..." and Kirsten finished the sentence for her: "treats!" Lucia: "Yeah! I got lots of treats." I relish the fact that Lucia couldn't even think of the word 'candy'. :-)
The little ladybugs:

Our little scarecrow (who is also acting like one these days :-/ )

Happy Fall! (No scary faces or traditions at our place. :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment