Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What I Learned Today...

This might be a new occasional series.

Today I will post two lessons.

Yesterday, I learned that it is not a good idea to let your baby play with Lansinoh breastmilk storage bags.  The hard way.  Here is how my lesson unfolded.
After Alexa woke up from her nap, I decided to pump since I had skipped a feeding that morning and wanted to catch up for her.  I usually avoid pumping with her awake because it's rather complicated trying to entertain a baby and pump and keep her from climbing all over me, pulling on the tubes, etc.  So I was happy when she discovered the milk storage bags and was happily entertained for about a minute and a half.
When I was ready to store my milk in one of those bags, I opened it up and poured an entire bottle into one.  To my surprise and dismay, milk started POURING out of two or three holes that Alexa had poked into the bag with her sharp little teeth!  Since my little one is at the stage of pulling up and wanting to hold a hand to walk all the time, I one-handedly closed the ziploc zipper at the top and quickly turned the bag on its head to avoid more spillage, while rotating my other hand and arm trying to keep Alexa balanced.  I then had the brilliant idea of cutting off a corner of the bag to be able to pour the contents into a new (hopefully unadulterated) bag, but in order to get at my nail scissors (since all this was happening in our bathroom), I had to open the make-up drawer.  Little hands can reach all of the contents in this drawer, so I opened it as fast as I could.  I meant to also close it that fast, but in the meantime, a little hand had already grabbed my make-up bottle and was threatening to drop it on the tile floor in the sweet little empty-everything-of-all-its-contents-by-taking-one-thing-out-at-a-time-and-dropping-it-immediately-way that 10-month olds are so good at. So I had to steer her away with one hand, put down the injured bag full of milk, remove the make-up and put it back with the other hand, and then shut the drawer.  Then... cut off corner, test new bag by blowing into it to ensure no holes present, and... pour milk back into a bottle and then into the new bag (since one-handed pouring from one bag into another is pretty much impossible).  Moral: Don't let baby play with milk storage bags. 

Today I learned that apple picking in Texas means something totally different than apple picking in Wisconsin.

We met up with our school friends (after a half-hour-turned-into-an-hour's drive due to poor directions and lack of signs) at Henrietta Creek Orchard.  Since we were a little late, I was worried that we would be missing out on a good part of the apple picking part, but to all of our relief, when we joined our friends among the apple trees, they told us that they had JUST gone out to the orchard.  The tour began with a good half hour talk about bees and butterflies and other fruit and orchard facts.  We missed out on that, but I wasn't too disappointed.  I was surprised to notice that no one had any bags or wagons or baskets, except for the tourguide/teacher, who had one small basket (a tad bigger than Easter egg hunt sized).  This is when she said, "We're trying to pick this area clean.  Everyone gets to pick ONE apple.  The adults, too!"  (Like that was a bonus.)  (If one accidentally fell while you were trying to pick yours, then you could take that one too and give it to her.)  I assumed we'd start with this particular kind of apple and then move on to other trees, but no, one apple is all we got to pick this morning.  (Per person.  So that makes three. :-) )  Oh, and for the apple-picking experience we paid $6 per person.  $18 for three apples, if you'll allow me to do the math for you.  Count the gas to get there and back, and those are some expensive apples!  It may be cheaper to fly to Germany and pick my parents' apples for free! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment