This past weekend, David unfortunately had to work A LOT to make some deadlines. So the girls and I tried to give him as much space and quiet as we possibly could. Sunday afternoon, I took them to the park since it was beautiful (about 77 degrees) and that way he could get some more work done.
When we got to the park, I was surprised to see a group of cub scouts having their weekly meeting there. I've never observed a group of scouts, so it was a cultural learning event for me.
Lucia was also rather intrigued. She would play for a little, and then come back and stand at a small distance and watch and listen to what was going on. After a while, their formal instructions were over and the group of about 12-15 boys started doing what boys do... they started throwing a football, playing tag, and horsing around the play structures. Lucia watched the groups throwing the football for a while and told me she was going to ask if she could play too. She ended up staying on the sidelines, watching (which didn't surprise me).
After a while, the scout leader joined in the game of tag and it got a little crazy, with a boy falling (but not hurt) and a general increase in noise.
Lucia watched another five minutes of this, and then very decidedly walked up to the scout leader and said something I couldn't hear. He responded to her: "Well, hello there. And who are you?" Then she turned around and came back to me.
I said, "Lucia, what did you say to him?"
Lucia *authoritatively*: "I said, 'Stop that craziness or someone could get hurt again!' "
That's Lucia for ya. Always concerned, always responsible. Glad she has the guts to confront an unknown adult, now we just need to work on the manner and situational appropriateness of her confrontations. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment