Lucia asked me to help her with her Christmas list, when all of a sudden she looked up at me and said, "Mama, I have to ask you something. Isn't it WEIRD that even though Santa brings the presents, WE wrap them?!"
We've never promoted the whole Santa thing at Christmas time. We've carried on the tradition of St. Nicholas Day, when the kids put out a boot on the eve of December 6th and find some goodies in it from "Nikolaus" the next morning. But we try not to distract from the true meaning of Christmas on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. So all the kids "know" about Santa they have learned from other kids and read in books. So it's interesting to me to have these types of conversations with Lucia. I try not to lead her on, but I also don't want to simply burst her childhood bubble.
The conversation continued.
L: "Mama, I think when we put our our shoe, this time we should leave Santa some cookies and milk." ... *after a thoughtful pause* "I've heard other people leave out cookies and cheese, but I think cookies and milk would be better." (Cheese?!?) "What else could we do for Santa? How about we could leave HIM a present?! Mama, what do you think Santa would like? ... Mama, he has glasses, right?"
M: "What do you think?"
L: "Well, I think we could give him his first mug. Let's find one for him and wrap it and leave it outside for him." (where she also left her Christmas list, as follows:
BARBIE COMPUDR
CHRISTMASS TREE (I helped her spell "Christmas", the letters of which were somewhat surprising to her. She said: "They should change the spelling! Take out the T and change the A to an I." :-) )
B. CASLEE (Barbie castle)
ANGNLE COSTOME (angel costume)
STAR WAND
A DOG
A CAT
A BALL
A BIKE
A BARBIE
A HAIE STÜLL (we're not sure, but think "a high stool" maybe for the counter in the kitchen?!?!)
A NEW WTRE BOTTLE
A DOLL
A WAND
(Then the pre-printed Christmas wishlist template was out of lines, which is probably a good thing. Gotta fill up all those lines! :-) )
Then she also wanted to know if Santa came on the night before Christmas, or on Christmas. I said, "neither," but that he came on the night of December 5. So now we're eagerly counting the days. :-) And on Christmas, we can keep the focus on Jesus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment