Monday, March 1, 2010

Pizza!

I think for only the second time in our almost five-year marriage have I attempted home-made pizza. It's a shame, really - but the dough was always the deterrent for me. I'm a bit picky when it comes to what constitutes good bread, which includes pizza dough, and the home-made doughs I've had so far have been ok, but not worth the effort. The thought of having to plan hours ahead and structure my afternoon around mixing, kneading, rising, rolling and baking simply to have dinner, well... I guess that's what kept me from ever making pizza.
Last weekend, I figured I'd give it another try. And I found an excellent recipe online that skips the rising process alltogether! I used my white whole wheat flour (which is made from red wheat, I just discovered it about two years ago) for the dough and it turned out great! We made four pizzas, and the one that baked on the pizza stone definitely had the best crust. We're thin crust people and like our pizza crunchy, and the stone did it for us. :-) The other ones were delicious too; what else can you expect with yummy toppings like goat cream cheese, cream cheese, feta, shredded cheddar/monterrey, red, yellow, green peppers, onions, black and green olives, prosciutto, tomatoes, pesto, etc. Mmh... I'll be making pizza much more frequently now! We tried to calculate the cost of a home-made pizza and think it's about $3.00 (considering the toppings we're putting on). So... we save $2.00 per pizza easily, though it does take a bit more work than walking to the freezer and ripping open a box. :-)




Lucia was very proud of the end result - at dinner she kept saying, "Mama, we MADE that pizza!!" :-)


1 comment: