So this morning I was inspired (again) to introduce Rhea to the toilet. She's had several (three) moments of interaction with it already (picture me doing something in the kitchen, then I hear her squeals of delight ... with a strange echo-y sound to them, and then hear lots of water splashing, all of this coming from the bathroom). So... it's time to show her what a toilet is REALLY for. (Though no doubt it's fun to splash around in one with your hands too, as long as you set your brain to hibernate.)
I've tried once or twice before to sit Rhea down on the toilet with Lucia's potty seat on it, but she WILL - NOT - HAVE - IT. (Have I mentioned before that Rhea is opinionated?) So today, I suggested to Lucia that she demonstrate to Rhea how to go peepee on the toilet (after I took Rhea's diaper off, but she again refused to sit on it herself.) So Lucia sat down like a model big sister would, and while she was concentrating to "go", I talked Rhea through what was going on. "Look, Lucia is sitting on the toilet! She's going to go peepee! pss pss pss pss pss... peepee! It's almost coming... listen! Pss pss pss pss..." And as soon as Lucia started demostrating her tinkles, Rhea let loose too!! It was nothing short of amazing! (Except that I had to go change my pants after that, since she was holding on to me without a diaper on). I was surprised that she had that much awareness of her bodily functions, though I've read that babies are born with this skill, and our disposable diapers essentially "untrain" them since they are so absorbent. So... now I'm going to try to break her of her fear of the potty seat. Not that she'll be potty trained any time soon, but at least I have a little "project". :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment