One of Lucia's absolute FAVORITE games at the moment is playing "Girlie", which means that "I'm the mommy and you're the girlie, Mama, ok?" We play it all the time (when I have the energy and patience for it), but especially whenever we go to the park. As soon as Lucia sees the play set, she envisions her "house" where she can make "food" and call "girlie" to dinner. Right as we get out of the car, she asks: "Mama, can I be the mommy and you be the girlie?" Mama: "Ok." (sometimes with a small sigh.) Usually I have the excuse that I also need to take care of Rhea, so I can't follow her instructions and commands 100%, but when David comes to the park with us, he can take care of Rhea and Lucia has me completely roped into her play.
THEN... this last weekend, all four of us took the bikes to the park again. It was no surprise that Lucia excitedly asked me, "Mama, you be the girlie and I'll be the mommy, ok?!" It was then that I had my most brilliant thought of the day: "Lucia, how about you be the Mama, and Papa is a little boy?!?!?!?" At first she looked at me with a little confusion ... little boy? I've never played that game before... But THEN - her eyes lit up and without missing a beat she roped HIM into her game. "Boy! It's supper time! Boy, come here, now it's time to sleep. Here is our house, boy, and here is your bed." "Boy, here, I show you the swings. Do you want to swing, Boy? I can push you!" etc. etc.
I almost rolled over laughing. I don't know why it was so funny to me, but just not having to be girlie for once and sharing the joy and experience of being part of her "family", as well as seeing the look in David's eyes as he was trying to come up with some sort of evil consequence for me for suggesting this version of the game to Lucia. He was a great sport and probably enjoyed it at some level. For me, it was better than any TV show or book - a highlight of my weekend. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment