Last weekend, we met up with my cousin Jonathan, his wife Nikki, and their little 13-month-old, Gilbert, at a GREAT Indian buffet place in Madison. Jonathan had been there a few times with people from work and really liked it, and we're always game to try ethnic restaurants (especially Indian/Thai/etc.). It was excellent, and both of our girls really liked it too! Afterwards, Nikki and I checked out a cloth diapering store that was located in the same square as the restaurant, while the papas hung out with the kids. Then - the real destination: the Madison Zoo, which is FREE! :) We all enjoyed walking around outside, seeing some animals and other parts of nature (that day, Lucia was especially intrigued by ... LEAVES. We really had to work to turn her attention to the animals every now and then. :) )
A large Rhino

The Dylhoff family

Nikki the tortoise :)

A confused little Gilbert wondering why on earth this tortoise reminded him so much of his mother.

The reason I posted this picture of Lucia is because, every time I look at it, I see MYSELF. It's so strange - the first picture of her that does that to me. Sadly, it's not in focus, but ... I don't know... this was me! (And note: there's a leaf in her hand, which she repeatedly "washed" in puddles along the way. :) )

Proud of her leaf.

Rhea enjoying the poky tickles of some grassy bush (you might not be able to tell in this picture, but she fell in the parking lot right after lunch and had a huge lip all day. Poor little sveet.)

Papa the baby polar bear. Lucia was too reserved/inhibited to try it herself, even after both Nikki and Papa modeled the baby bear for her. She has to analyze and warm up to things before she tries them herself. :)



Walking with Papa. I love this picture for lots of reasons. I see two of my favorite people in it, but then, more abstractly, I see the care of a father for his child. I could go on and on about it, the spiritual parallels that are so obvious to me (including Rhea's independent streak and how she would go in all directions but the right one, and how it sometimes takes physical overpowering to get her to do what's best for her, ... this child, this child! :-) ... you can even see that in the way David is holding her hand... it's not a casual "hand-holding" position, it's a strong guiding/pulling forward grasp of her whole wrist. :) ) And yet the patient tenderness of allowing her her own pace, letting her walk on her own two feet, and making occasional stops to discover and enjoy little things along the way.

Rhea and Gilbert in Mama Roo's pouch. :)

And our exhausted little Rhea in the car on the way home. We all had a great time and commented on how it was fun to randomly get out and connect with some other people! We just might have to do it again. ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment